Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sumptuous Seaweed

I love the small Japanese restaurants in the Porter Exchange mall, in particular the one across from the bakery. They serve an amazing tofu appetizer with a pretty topping of brown and green seaweed-like flakes. I had a craving the other day, so I decided to make it at home. I headed to the international aisle in Whole Foods and found these:

Bonito flakes are actually dried fish, usually skipjack tuna (according to Wikipedia). Skipjack tuna is fished sustainably and does not have high mercury levels.
Wakame is seaweed. It is a delicious ocean plant that has been nominated as one of the top 100 invasive species, so I figure it's actually good for the environment to eat it all up. It also contains antioxidants that prevent cancer and packs a lot of nutrients in a small serving. (But careful, it's also really high in sodium. If you're pregnant or hypothyroid, stay away.)  

And with these, I made this:


Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment